Sunday, November 22, 2009

Thoughts on Twilight and the Craze


To start this post off, I have something to say:

I have seen this movie.

Now, before you judge me, please read the entire post.

Firstly, I did not like the movie or what I read of the books (I probably couldn't say much more on these novels unless I read them all. Of which, I don't plan on doing.). I tend to take an analogy view to Hollywood these days. There is rarely a time I come across a "good" wholesome movie by mine, or others, standards. This is, after all, a secular market. When I watch movies I tend to ask myself these questions "What is the main point that they are trying to get across?", "What are they [directors/writers] using to get that point across?", "What are the positive themes?", etc.

I started to read the book nearly a year and a half ago just to see what the hype was about, but I felt like God told me to stop and I did. I recently watched the movie. I waited nearly a year, mind you, so that I could review it honestly and not be considered part of the "trend". Don't worry, I have no intention of joining the ranks of thousands of screaming tween and teen girls over Jacob, Edward, or the whole Twilight franchise.

Twilight does have some positive messages, like family and sacrifice. But there are some things that I can't just overlook. For example: this is a dark subject. Although the movie wasn't as dark as I had expected, it still deals with a dark topic. Vampires and Werewolves.

Overall, the movie was okay. The acting was terrible, so was the dialogue. Some of the effects were nice, and the character(s) I really only halfway cared for was Edward's family and their close-knit care for each other. I did wish I would've done something else with my time by the end of it. No, I'm not trying to bash those of my friends who enjoy it. It just wasn't for me, topic or cinematic wise.

Secondly, I do wonder why so many Christians are drawn to it--once again, I am NOT bashing, just sharing--I was quite surprised actually. Doesn't God tell us to not be of the world? No, I'm not saying there's something wrong with liking a great movie or anything, because I'd already be condemned if this was the case. It's just when some people--not all of those who like Twilight, I realize this--take it to an obsessive new level. It seems like at least half of the stores in every mall I've been in over the past year are lined with Twilight merchandise and various other merchandise from vampire, zombie, and werewolves movies, games, and books. I've even seen tween girls that fantasize that this [Edward/Jacob/Twilight] is real. What is it with our culture's sudden obsession with the undead?

In the end it all comes down to this: you know your limits, and you know what God has convicted you of not doing, watching, or listening to. You are the ultimate decider of what you subject or expose yourself to. Pray about it. Consider what you do subject yourself to.

Here's a parting verse for you,

"Guard your heart above all else, for it determines the course of your life. "

Proverbs 4:23


Have a blessed day and happy theater going!

-Sarah

4 comments:

  1. Interesting read, I appreciate your insight on this! =]

    -Hannah

    ReplyDelete
  2. The aspect of the darkness of the topic is something I understand and agree with you. It is a dark and almost morbid subject matter, but for people like me, who are in a world of darkness trying to find light, these types of movie provide that comfort. Cause we get a message from a movie that we don't think is childish.

    And I'm not wanting to sound like I'm disagreeing with you, I understand that people have different views on this subject and I respect you for putting you foot down and speaking up. :D We need more people like that!

    Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mir, I appreciate your honesty on this subject. Your tone is not judgmental, and you are, for the most part, very respectful. However, I must disagree with your overall take on the matter.

    First, I do agree with you that obsession with Twilight is dangerous. Obesession with ANYTHING is dangerous. It is childish and immature and can lead to bad places. So I'm with you on this point.

    On the whole, though, merely enjoying Twilight--or something that includes vampires in general--is not, in my mind, being "of" the world. I'm not a huge Twilight fan, but I do find it entertaining (the movies are a crack-up--isn't Robert Pattinson just about the biggest idiot you've ever seen?). I also find the entire vampire trend fascinating. There IS something about the vampire that is alluring to our culture, and last fall, I set out to write a research paper exploring the topic. It was quite an experience. You can learn so much about humanity based on the myths they've managed to evolve. Very interesting stuff.

    Anyway, on to my point. The past few years I've have become very concerned about many of my fellow Christians when it comes to literature and entertainment. There seems to be a suspicion bordering on paranoia about things that are not Christian. These things (such as Harry Potter and, to a lesser extent, Twilight) have become associated with the "dark side"--puzzle pieces to a greater plot of some develish atrocity to pervert Christians and turn them away from God. I find this to be a sad and even dangerous misenterpretation of Christian living.

    The funny thing is, I feel like there's such a double standard. Some things, like The Lord of the Rings, are okay, because they've been associated with Christians in the past. Thus, THEY can't be touched. I really believe this categorization has little to do with content and more to do with a deep-rooted, cultural impression. Intellectually, it is absurd. It is treading the fine line of legalism, and, at a point, it becomes pharisaical. Cannot these things labeled "taboo" teach us something, too? Look up a list of banned books. You will recognize many titles. These books were, for various reasons, seen as dangerous and subversive. Are they? You must decide that for yourself.

    I'm not saying you have to like Twilight. Honestly, it is a literary nightmare. :-p However, I do think your line of thinking is erroneous, and I beg you to try looking at the issue from a different point of view. I think you might find that the world suddenly becomes more colorful and alive with God's wisdom when you are willing to look at all of it. This may sound odd, but I think you'll even find that God can be found in tales of vampires and werewolves. . . .

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're welcome, Kobi.

    Thank you for your insight, Legolas and Eowyn. I will keep these things in mind! :)

    Eowyn, with the "Didn't God tell us not to be of this world?" I was aiming that towards the obsession part of the Twilight craze--more of the tween and teen thing. But I do understand what you're saying, and I appreciate your insight into this.

    ReplyDelete