Saturday, July 23, 2011

Review: Eternity Falls


Eternity Falls
Kirk Outerbridge
Read July 2011

First off, may I say how much I love the cover of this book? I know people say to not judge a book by its cover but still, I can admire them. I think it is important to have a great cover for your novel because that's what stops me and other readers—that generally is what makes us flip the book over and take a look at the synopsis. Don't get me wrong though, I still give other books a chance.

Eternity Falls is the first publication I've read by publishing house Marcher Lord Press and I wasn't let down. I've heard raving reviews about books coming out of there and when Jeff Gerke, founder of Marcher Lord Press, spoke at a writer's conference I was at last August, I purchased this copy.

“The undying has died.”

The Miracle Treatment has kept people from death, and suddenly a famous movie star dies of natural causes. This book crafts an epic tale of the beauty of mortality, combined with a cyberpunk-packed feel and slamming fish.

One thing that I really loved was how vibrant and different the characters were. Some attributes I had to take a minute, step back, and wrap my mind around them, but I was never once disappointed.

The imagery of this novel is amazing and I could totally feel their world around me as I read, but I found myself wanting to walk away for a bit during the first half of the book. It wasn't that the writing was bad or setting, but I felt the pace moved too slow for me. Also, I found a few technical flaws that an editor overlooked, but it wasn't with the writing. All in all, a wonderful new flavor to the world of fiction.

No comments:

Post a Comment